Kiasi aka Kiasi-ism

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

入乡随俗

I have forgotten how I can get into my present school just like that. Previously, I was from a Chinese School. I sually scored very low marks for my Bahasa Malaysia. And after my UPSR, I just can't imagine what will my future be like, when I am in Malay School. With my telor or gagap or whatsoever BM is that, I think that I will ended up be a useless expresso expresser.

But things go differently. I couldn't imagine that among 3 of my Chinese school friends, I cope up the best 'bahasa pasar'. You know how important is bahasa pasar? When you go pasar (whatever pasar malam, pasar pagi, pasar tani or pasar ramadhan), you will use that bahasa well. Eg. for bahasa pasar, "Kenape ni? Apasal kau nak bat macam ni?" You know, sometimes it is good to use bahasa pasar rather than Annuar Ibrahim's bahasa baku. At least, the way of speaking is more natural.

Back to the title, 入乡随俗 which if direct translate it to English, it will bring a meaning of "enter kampung village follow culture" or in a more perfect meaning, suit the environment. For those who still don't know, never mind, in Bahasa Malaysia, we call it "masuk kandang kambing mengembek, masuk kandang kerbau menguak" *my Bahasa Malaysia has brush up very fast* Understand? If don't understand, go find a toilet bowl, put your head in, and flush.

It is important to learn how to suit the environment well. Here I present my grandmother story...

One day Long long time ago, when Malay Land aka Tanah Melayu aka Nanyang was ruled by British, while the number of the local citizens can't bring much prosperous to the British, the British imported workers from Madras, Fujian and Kwangtung. And from there onwards, where our ancestors (I mean for the Chinese and Indians only) were brought in to the Malay Land aka Tanah Melayu aka Nanyang to work for the British. They had been worked very hard, and learned very smart to keep up their Bahasa Pasar. They suddenly know how to speak Malay, but in a lousy way, "Aiseh, hali ini hor, memang letih lah. Gua sulah keja satu hali, manyak penat oo." Besides that, they also came out many new Malay words, such as beca, kongsi, kamcing...... (you can get it here) Not only that, because of the combination of different races (Malay, Chinese and Indian) Manglish and Singlish were introduced. "Aiyah, is lidat wan lah."

OK, back to our topic.

I seriously look in this matter. When I was on a trip to Shanghai, the tour guide told us, "Learn to suit the environment here in China. Obviously there will be many difference here and there, like in a sense of slang, manners, and food. Learn to suit it." Although it was just a one week tour, I tried to follow their accent, and tried to speak their slang. It is good to try to speak like them. When you are buying things, speak in their skang, they will charge much more cheaper, becasue they don't take you as a tourist also. So, that's why, it is good to "入乡随俗".

I was on my trip to Shanghai, together with my family, joining a tour group, in a group of 27 people. From old to young, ah pek to ah lian, and uncle to auntie. As we know, China encounters 4 seasons a year. Therefore, beer is produced to keep the body temperature warm. The beer in China is really cheap. Probably cheaper than mineral water. One botol of 800ml beer costs around RMB1.50 (depends on the area), convert to RM, costs RM0.75. And people at there like beer very much. Every meal, there must have AT LEAST a bottle of beer on the table. Different area has different beer. Eg. Harbin has Harbin Beer, Wuxi has Wuxi beer, Nanking has Nanking beer... but among the beers, Tsing Dao (青岛) has the proclaimed best beer of all. So, during the trip, we have to sit with one old ah pek. For every meal, he drinks beer, only prefers Tsing Dao Beer. But during our trip to China, with him sitting on the same table with us, from day one to day eight, he still requesting for his Tsing Dao Beer...

Tour Guide : "Lai lai lai. Can eat already. Can eat already."

Everyone : *settle on a table*

Ah Pek : *see table got Xuan Wu Beer* "Eh, tour guide, got Tsing Dao Beer anot?"

He kept repeating his conversation for every meal, from day one to day eight, until we really don't know how to serve him. Got Xuan Wu Beer, then drink Xuan Wu Beer lah. WTH buzzed us during every meal?

Come on, I mean that shows how important to '入乡随俗'. If canoot, balik to your own kampung, and drink your own Tsing Dao Beer.

56 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home